What I had achieved in my 2016? When this question came into my mind at the very first day of 2017, I realized that my achievement is like other ordinary people: something done, but far, far not enough.
I looked through my diary on the date of 26th, Dec, 2015, and found the plan of 2016 I wrote:
- TOEIC score: 900 above, done within Oct, 2016;
- Japanese language learning. Reach to the level of N1 certificate and good enough to have daily communication;
- Summarize and consummate my personal knowledge database, including music, documentary, modern history, etc.
- Some other personal plans.
The first two goals failed. About in the mid-term of 2016, I discontinued studying Japanese language and give myself some reasons: 1. my English level still need to be improved to gain 900 score in TOEIC and read English materials. 2. It would be better to learn English well enough and then continue to learn another language. 3. Good English can help me find a job in a Euramerican enterprise with relatively more salary.
Well, these “pretexts” caused my Japanese language level plunged.
Happily, I also learnt other skills like basic free-style swimming and VBA coding. VBA coding is quite challenging but worthy. As a business-learning graduate without any program knowledge, I always come across some obstacles, but these are not annoying compare to my low-level and repetitive works, like copy some data in a excel file and paste in another new file with designate form. You can find that even in a large and modernize enterprise with the ERP system that cost millions, someone still need to do this kind of work! If you ask IT team for adding or changing some functions in system, they will reject and require General Manager’s approval, which is impossible. The bottom employees’ basic hard work DOESN’T MATTER.
I definitely hate any repetitive works that don’t need to think! These works should be done by computer software, not by a college graduate. So I tried to write some MACROs and shared them with my colleagues, they all shocked and admired me: we just need to click one button and finish the data transformation.
The 2017 plan will be the nearly same as 2016: English, swimming, VBA, personal knowledge database. I will write down the detailed plan in my notebook (not open, of cause). But the principle goals are listed as below:
- I hope I earn independent thought, speak and act base on my own judgement.
- I hope I’m bold to communicate, to doubt, with respect and calm.
- I hope I know a huge amount of knowledge and gain various skills, and can share with others using my own language.
- I hope I can dress well, live with a decent life, without the annoying of daily trivialities.
Finally, let me share a joke:
It said that there are Mr Diligence and Mr Sloth who live inside every individuals. When you are struggling to make decision, they will fight. So when I was in primary school, Mr Diligence always win. When I was in middle school, they fight to a draw. When I was in college school, Mr Sloth always win. Now I already left school and find that they don't fight anymore, the Mr Diligence was beat to death.